Friday, February 4, 2011

Perception From Experience

I was driving home from the grocery store with both children in the back of the SUV, their obligatory free helium balloons bobbing in vivid color in my rear view mirror, when we came to a stop at a red light.  My eldest called out, "Polar Bear Crossing!"

I glanced over my shoulder at him, preparing to ask what he was talking about.  While initially dumbfounded, I got my answer as my eyes swept back to the front to check the light.  The bank on the corner had a bear logo, and a prominent advertising sign on the front lawn near the intersection.

Any time I viewed the Bank of the West sign, I fell victim to instant brand recognition out of past familiarity and commercial conditioning.  My son, on the other hand, was used to seeing traffic signs near intersections.  Seeing a sign with a large bear outline facing the opposite side of the street, coupled with his experience with human crosswalk and deer and cattle crossing signs, led him to the completely logically conclusion to watch out for bears, even in the middle of the city.

Though little experience with bears in developed areas probably played a role in the fact that I had never seen a bear crossing sign on that lawn, I will not sell short the influence of brand recognition.  My youngest, still resorting to frustrated screams as a form of communication to bridge the gap between his understanding and skills of articulation, started calling for his balloon as soon as he saw the Safeway sign from the parking lot.

One thing was certain:  I would never again miss the Polar Bear Crossing sign my son had pointed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment